Thursday, September 8, 2011

the benefits of jet lag

Perhaps the best proof that the world is not flat is found in flying to a faraway land. Waking up and falling asleep at strange times are pretty good evidence that something about your location on the earth's surface has changed drastically. I don't need Aristotle for this one.

To tell you the truth, I don't hate jet lag; instead I actually kind of enjoy it. Each time I make the long journey between Asia and North America, I am newly convinced that this indeed is my new thing--waking up early and loving it! Every day for about a week, I roll out of my bed with a smile, just like some sleep-aid commercial.

Sadly, the feeling is already gone. The morning euphoria usually lasts only about a week, but in that time I always enjoy seeing a different side of life.

This time, that side of life was found in the park near my home. Each early morning, I would take a walk and get coffee at McDonald's, and on my way I'd find that unlike me, dozens of people are up and around quite early, without the aid of time zone changes. :)

Here's a look at morning in Beijing.